Thursday 29 December 2016

#Fiercely walking my journey through 2016

Just like many others, we start the year off with very high energy and listing all the New Year resolutions. As a personal conviction, I stopped writing New Year resolutions about 2 years ago. My simple reason was because I realized it’s not about just writing the things to do but eventually doing them. I don’t need to wait till New Years before I start doing what I ought to do. I note them down, and start planning for them. (My simple principle though).

I started 2016 with very little energy as I have had many disappointments in the previous years and had most of my aspirations quashed hence a bit of uncertainty because I did not know how the decisions I take will eventually affect my life. I was geared for many things and wasn’t ready to get pulled down by anything or anyone. “Fiercely face” them was my mantra.

In April, I turned 30. I summed up my 30 years with a blogpost here It was a mixed feeling turning that age but what can I say. It came anyway and I had fun, partied hard and fiercely took off like a speed jet.

In May, I made a tough decision to leave my job as an account manager at Global Media Alliance to join a young fashion brand called Totally Ethnik while I re-build my boutique PR company, E'April PR. It was also to re-strategize my career path and have enough time to learn and build a much stronger foundation as a Fashion PR Girl.

In April-May, I handled PR for the first ever Accra Mens Fashion Week. PR efforts garnered gave the event several media reach and attention on both Traditional and social media even weeks after the event. I am certainly looking forward to the 2017 edition. Nana Mensah and your team, you guys were simply amazing.

In June-July, we launched Evangel Magazine Beta Edition in partnership with Royalhouse Chapel International. This was a successful launch and we thank God we managed to expand our readership with the word of God.
Evangel Mag Team/Royalhouse Chapel
In July, I had the opportunity to write for the Business and Financial Times Newspaper as a Columnist. I shared my weekly thoughts on fashion brands and events in my little corner called “Fashion and More with Faith Senam”. It’s been an exciting journey combing every little corner for content to share on a weekly basis. I am glad I pulled through 6 months and I am looking forward to the many opportunities that awaits in 2017 with it.

In October, i joined six (6) other PR ladies of African Descent across the globe to begin a weekly PR Chat called #PRChatAfrica hosted by each lady every week. I have learnt and made many contacts through this chat platform. 

In October- November, I attended the Lagos Fashion and Design Week and really learnt a lot from that event. Hopefully, our fashion events in Ghana could get better in the coming years.
All year through, I managed to attend most of the major fashion events such as the Glitz Style Awards, Ghana Fashion Awards (Judge), Ghana Fashion and Design Week (Took over their twitter Handle), Glitz Africa Fashion Week among others.

I also had the opportunity within the year to speak to young students from my former school University African University College of Communications (AUCC) and 2nd Image Beauty College. It was such a pleasure.
Career
I became certain of what I wanted to do in 2011; “Fashion PR”. Since then, all I have gradually done was to position myself in that field. It’s not been an easy one knowing it’s not a popular profession here in Ghana. But I am glad how people attempt to describe what I do when they see me. Bits by bits I know we will get there.

I found my niche in PR and that is Fashion PR. Expect more of my journey in 2017. I know it won’t be easy, but I know I will surpass them.

To the brands I handled PR for and manged; Totally Ethnik, Evangel Magazine, Accra Mens Fashion Week, Daily PR Africa, Women in PR Ghana, I  know 2017 will be a bigger platform we will step on.  

Personal Life
I rarely talk about my personal life on my blog. This time, I will share a little and few happenings in 2016. As I mentioned earlier, this year was uncertain for me. I wasn’t sure what will happen. One of the hardest thing one could easily get over is finally ending a nine (9) years relationship. Starting all over again is no small joke. But society, family and friends who are not privy to this info won’t let you be.
I remember the countless voices that whispered into my ears and asked when I was getting married. Knowing the society in which we live in and the family we have, I know I am never going to get away until I present them with the parcel of a man they have wanted. They don’t care who or what kind of person one ends up with. As I said on my 30th birthday blogpost, until love finds me again, I will be busy pursuing other goals in life. My life won’t be at a standstill because it’s time to get married and the ‘guy’ hasn’t popped up yet. I won’t be cajoled into societal pressure. Not to say it doesn't bother me but I have faith in God’s appointed time.

Hopefully in 2017, I will have more “Me” time, know myself better, more hobbies, more money, execute those “Ideas” that have lingered on for a long while, do things that will make me happy, eliminate negativity, read and learn more and take up more challenges.

Friends of 2016
Special thanks to you Catherine (Kate). You have been this girl who has been the shoulder I cry on. All the long hours you have to stay up to listen to what is keeping me awake at night, I can only thank God for your friendship and pray we stay closer in the coming years. Fifteen (15) years of friendship and counting. I appreciate your love and wish 2017 bring smiles to you too.

Klenam, as I said on your birthday on facebook, I don’t know how our friendship started but the fact that we shared many commonalities is enough to bring us together. I am grateful for your friendship, time and strength you have.
Ese, Sadat, Bridget  and myself
Ese, my big sister in disguise. My pillar. She gives me the push. Looks out for me; physically and everything. I know I have you and can wish you same dear. Sadat, the first guy I can call a best friend.  You have been there with me throughout this year. Your time to listen and share with me, your advice, your push has brought me here. Millicent, I know I have your love as a sister and thank you for this year. Even if I have never mention it to you, I am fond of you and really glad to be your friend. I have just been stubborn Gertrude, you have been awesome this year. Bridget, you know you are a darling. Yayra, thanks for cheering on all year through.

Evangel TeamSolomon, Randy, Peniel, Yayra, Klenam, you guys have been amazing. I want to thank you for all the support. We really had a blast in 2016. 2017 can only be better.

Thanks to you Bernard Ashiadey (Business and Financial Times) Gameli Hamelo (Livefmghana), Ebenezer Anangfio(Ghanagist) for the support all year through. 

And to you all for reading my blog and for every like, retweet, reshare and repost.

I wish I can mention all the names but I remember each one of you who have given me all the feedback and support in 2016. Those who were unable to, I understand because I wasn’t been there for you too. When God gives us another chance, let’s make it better in 2017.

Its been obvious I have had a very busy year. Packed with one thing or the other. But there have been challenging, sad and lonely moments where I wished things were a little different too. Where I stayed in bed to shed a tear. All these also gave me strength, hope, faith and love to still move on. I thank God for his mercies and pray 2017 will be a fresh start to a new story.

Thank you all for being wonderful. I love you and pray for you.

#FierceFaith 2016

Faith Senam Ocloo 
Fashion Public Relations 
Fashion I Beauty I Lifestyle I Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment